Hits 13745 | Created 2009-03-04 | Modified 2009-03-05
My speed started to drop and eventually became tediously slow. From multi-megabyte to around 200k or less speed. This is a log of what I did to try and resolve the problem.
1. Restart the hub. Go to http://bthomehub.home/ then 'Settings', 'Advanced Settings', 'System', then 'Restart'
2. Okay, I assume you've restarted your PC? Uninstalled any curious programs you have installed just before the speed drop? Done a comprehensive virus scan and trojan/bot check? I recommend AVG Free and SpyBot Search & Destroy (do a Google Search)
3. Go to http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ in Internet Explorer (it often crashes in FF) and follow the instructions. You will eventually get a results list like this:
This Test comprises of two tests
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Your DSL connection rate: 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 210 kbps <<- This is too low!
2. Assured Rate Test: -provides background information.
Assured Rate IP profile on your line is - 600 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 266 kbps
This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.
The important figures here are the DOWN-STREAM and first throughput figure.
Your DOWN-STREAM figure should match the best speed in your area, the speed you are supposed to connect at if you connect at the maxiumum.
Your throughput is the actual speed that is being seen at the moment, on average. This will likely be nowhere near as high as they maximum speed, but as a guide it should fall in these ranges (very vague table):