Firefox won't open PHP pages suddenly
Hits 33501 | Created 2008-02-06 | Modified 2008-06-05Trying to access facebook I was suddenly told I was trying to download a PHP file, and what should I do with it. I said, open it with Firefox and then a hundred new, blank tabs opened... Solution follows.
There's quite a lot of stuff on the web about this issue, there seems to be some complaint about firefox's mime-type handling, corrupt mimeTypes.rdf files, etc.
Whatever the cause, here's what fixed it for me.
Follow the steps on this page: http://kb.mozillazine.org
1. Type about:config into the address bar.
2. Find the preference browser.download.pluginOverrideTypes and, if it is present, right-click on it and select reset.
3. Find the preference plugin.disable_full_page_plugin_for_types and, if it is present, right-click on it and select reset.
4. Exit the browser, then open the profile folder (Windows 2000/XP/Vista users, read this for help finding it).
5. Delete (or rename) the file mimeTypes.rdf. Caution: There is also a mimeTypes.rdf file in the program folder. Do not delete it by mistake.
There are links on the page itself to help you do this, find the correct folders etc. Note that on the about:config page, search doesn't work, so you should scroll to find the entries.
Now go into Tools -> Options -> File Types -> Manage
You should have a list of file types and how firefox will deal with them. Scroll through and find PHP. If there is an entry, delete it.
Re-start firefox and try the web page again.
Also see /support.mozilla.com
For 'How to open a PHP file with KompoZer under Windows' see http://www.afinerweb.com/blog/?p=1000016