Hits 4832 | Created 2007-06-07 | Modified 2007-06-07
This is a traditional Shropshire Wassail drink that has been adapted for summer-time sipping. Basically we remove all the egg and cream from the thing, don't bother with the 10 baked apples and instead chill it and serve with ice. It's very refreshing in the sun! If you find it too bitter, then add more honey or sugar, likewise, if using sweet cider, then use less.
1 x Large Orange, studded with about 15 cloves
2-4 tablespoons Brown Sugar (to taste)
1/2 Bottle Dry Sherry
1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
3 x Cloves
1 teaspoon Allspice
2 Cinnamon sticks, broken in two
1/2 Cup of Honey
2 Litres Cider
1/2 Cup of Brandy
1. Bake orange in oven on a tray in about 1/8" water for 30 minutes.
2. Combine all ingredients into large pan and heat until simmering (do not boil)
3. Leave on low heat for 10 minutes.
4. Strain liquid into punch bowl, add juice from baked orange and brandy.
6. Serve in punchbowl with ice, floating fruit optional..