Access denied by access control list
Hits 26345 | Created 2007-05-24 | Modified 2007-05-24My wife called my to the computer as there was an odd message on the screen.
You were denied access because:
Access denied by access control list.
What?? My status:
- Wireless connection on laptop working fine still
- Firefox working fine still
- Microsoft Internet Explorer showing this error for all pages
A quick Google search will reveal a lot of pages and a lot of solutions to this problem, but, as is often the case, the same message is produced by the lovely IE browser for a lot of different reasons. In my case it was actually a lot easier than the suggestions I found on the net, which included:
- Reinstall IE
- Do a system restore point roll back
- Create a new ISP connection
- Various IP address changes
- Router config changes
In fact, in my case, the settings in my wife's profile for Internet Explorer hadn't been updated for a long time (as she never uses IE) and had incorrect LAN setup.
For me simply going (in IE) to Tools
-> Internet Options
-> LAN Settings
and checking 'Detect automatically' and unchecking any other boxes, solved the problem instantly.